Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 1- July 4




We arrived to a welcome committee outside the airport. Literally hundreds of people looking for their loved ones… whole families awaiting a person’s return. I was like a deer in headlights, searching from inside the doors for an orange sign that said “Grupo NAPA.” After spotting him, I made my way to the curb where I met 5 other people just as wide-eyed as I was.

After driving through the craziest, most beautiful lush green mountains, we arrived in the town of Antigua. We knew we were in our new home when the streets turned to bumpy cobblestones and became too narrow for even one car. The driver dropped each student off at his or her homes one by one and handed us each a map with a highlighted portion showing where our new home was. I’m here, but even with the map, I’m really not sure where I am.

I am staying in the home of Jorge and Maria, a cute middle-aged couple with two sons and a daughter, all 10 to 14 years old. They speak only Spanish, but we’re already learning a lot about each other.  There are two girls also staying here from San Diego. It’s been 2 weeks since they arrived and they seem so comfortable, traveling the country and studying Spanish. Another girl from my program is scheduled to arrive tonight. I’m thrilled to meet her.

My room has beautiful tile floors, a full size bed, and a desk to read at. The bathroom is just as cute with a tile bathtub and sink. Hot water is questionable but I’m sure I’ll figure that part out. Orientation is early tomorrow and Maria is making us breakfast before we head out. The two girls say she is an amazing cook. I can’t wait!!!