Monday, July 26, 2010

Thursday, July 22, 2010: A Sick Day and An Interview


I slept in this morning… all morning until noon. It was so nice. I called in sick to Spanish class since my stomach has hurt all week and I couldn’t take it anymore. I needed a morning to recuperate and just let my body concentrate on whatever it was mad at. It worked! And by the afternoon, I was ready for the second half of the day.

We took the bus to Casa Maria (aka CM) to interview Ana Lydia, the owner of the joint. She was warm, welcoming, and a little cynical. She’s recently starting laying down the law, asking families to show her the money, or take their loved one home. It’s refreshing to see her start doing this, because I was getting worried. There are so many mouths to feed at CM, and not enough money to do it. Workers aren’t getting paid and many have started quitting, so something just had to give.

I can’t say whether Ana Lydia’s tactics are right, ethical, appropriate… It’s simply her decision and she’s doing what’s best for the people in her home that she’s agreed to take care of. I don’t blame her for asking people to leave, particularly when their families are able to take care of them. At this point, even if they ignored the person all day, it would not be entirely different from CM as long as they met their basic needs.